Sunday, September 25, 2011

I Like to Read

I used to read all the time.  If a book is really good and I want to get to the end to see what happens, I've been known to spend all day and night reading...ignoring housework, cooking, even (gasp!) bathing...

For the last several years, I've tried to limit my reading to about one book a month or so, because life is so hectic that I need to focus on the tasks at hand.  I go through many reading dry spells, too, when life gets too busy.

I have been on my once-a-month schedule lately.  In May, I read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.  I wanted to read it before I saw the movie.  I like to read a book before I see the movie, because books are generally better, and I feel I might ruin my reading experience in some way if I see the movie first. 

The book is set during the Depression.  The story begins with Jacob, a veterinary student who is near the end of his training.  He suddenly finds himself an orphan without any money.  He has to drop out of school and find a way to make a living.  He literally joins the circus.  He finds himself falling in love with the star of the top attraction, who is married to the cruel animal trainer.  Jacob has to fight for his life in his quest to get the girl. 

I really liked the book.  I thought the movie was an adequate adaptation, but the book is better.

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment