Wednesday, May 18, 2016

WIP Wednesday - 5/18/2016

I am coming right along with the Loopy Academy Extra Credit project.

I just need sleeves and the neckband to go!

MK out.

Friday, May 13, 2016

FO Friday - 5/13/2016

I have some things to show y'all!

I made a cowl for the April Loopy Monthly Mixer yarn project.

Pattern: Orchid Cowl by Jo Strong
Yarn:  Shalimar Breathless in Neptune
Mixer Prompt: Make something by your favorite designer.
Modifications: I wanted to use the entire skein; so, instead of three repeats in the last lace section, I did nine.

I made a shawlette for one of the Loopy Academy projects.

Pattern: Zaria Shawl
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock Mediumweight in Bebop and Cascade 220 SW Sport in Jasmine Green
Assignment:  Use a solid and a multicolor in a project.
Modifications: None.

I made a shawl with some beautiful yarn a good friend gifted to me.

Pattern: Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief
Yarn: Raven Frog Fiber Arts Twisted in Russian Reds
Modifications: I added another stockinette and a garter eyelet section to maximize yarn use.

MK out.

Thursday, May 12, 2016


...I've got too much time on my hands.

Remember the recent quilt and pillowcase I made for the Princess Niece, and how I made her Bitty Baby a coordinating quilt and pillow/pillowcase? Did you notice that the Princess Niece received a little outfit too?

I did, and I concluded that Bitty Baby needed a matching ensemble.

Why yes, yes I did.

It became quite the project though. I searched commercial patterns to find something that resembled the outfit I made for PN. I didn't find any.

I searched Pinterest for tutorials and I found one!

But after making the muslin, I determined that it wasn't made for Bitty Baby. It was a little tight.

A hundred years ago, I took fashion design courses where I learned how to make clothing by draping and flat pattern drafting. I decided to apply some of those lessons (and it's been a while; so, I'm sure I did so imperfectly) in an attempt to make a set of blocks which would allow me to draft all kinds of patterns for Bitty.

First, I draped some fabric on her.

Then, I checked the pieces on her and even had to eliminate a little gaping on the back armscye.

I took the corrected fabric patterns and transferred them to cardboard to make the blocks.

With the blocks, I drafted the sundress pattern.

I traced Bitty's panties to make a panty pattern.

I got busy sewing.

I made the outfit!

I think my mission was accomplished.

MK out.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

WIP Wednesday - 5/11/2016

Since I'm at a hockey playoff game tonight, my attention is a little divided.  

Currently, I have four things OTN, but none seemed quite right for the occasion.

Instead, I caked up a skein of Dragonfly Fibers Djinni Sock in the lovely Canyon Flower colorway. I figured swatching would be an appropriate activity.

I am planning to make Show Off Stranded Socks, because...SOCKS!

MK out.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Making a Pincushion

I have almost three weeks until this Loopy Academy semester is over. I've completed the three required knitting projects. I'm currently working on the extra credit project. More on all that soon.

On the other hand, I have two of the three assigned fabric projects yet to do. Monday, I decided it was time to make the pincushion. A girl on Ravelry made a cute one using this tutorial. I decided I wanted to make one like it too.

I made the center squares a little bit bigger that in the tutorial.

I did a little quilting around the nine patch.

I applied fusible interfacing to the back and sewed the front and back together. I left a small section free in order to turn it right side out.

I filled the pincushion with crushed walnut shells.

I used scraps from the pajama pants to make it.

I think it turned out pretty cute.

MK out.

Monday, May 9, 2016

Movie Monday - 5/9/2016

I haven't meant to neglect the blog lately, but my dash is keeping me quite busy. I do have things and experiences to show for it too! That's the point, I'm told.

I have been to the theater once in the last several weeks. I saw Hello, My Name is Doris, starring Sally Field, Tyne Daly and Max Greenfield, just to name a few. Field plays Doris, a sixty-something woman who has a crush on a much younger co-worker (Greenfield). She's encouraged by her best friend's granddaughter to go for it. It was very cute and I really liked it.

In other news, I've been enjoying many wonderful programs on PBS lately. Grantchester is a new favorite. Currently, Call the Midwife, Mr. Selfridge and A Place to Call Home are playing. I also caught up with The Bletchley Circle. I like all of them. I'm looking forward to Last Tango in Halifax to start again. I watched a documentary about Janis Joplin the other day on PBS' American Masters. It was very good. In case you can't tell, I think PBS is my favorite network.

In still other news, Princess Niece recently turned one. To mark the occasion, I gave her an American Girl Doll Bitty Baby. Remember the quilt and the pillowcase that I made for her? Well, I thought Bitty Baby needed a set too.

I used the scraps from Princess Niece's quilt and pillowcase. She really liked it all. I've never seen a one-year-old show such appreciation, but it sure melted my heart!

MK out.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

WIP Wednesday - 5/4/2016

I'm finishing my Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief today, except mine is more of a shawl.

My yarn is at least worsted weight, but it could be Aran, and there's lots of it. Well, there was, until I got to the almost finished stage.

I wanted to use up as much yarn as possible. I added an extra stockinette and garter-eyelet section. When I was about to start the official final section, I determined that there wasn't going to be enough yarn to knit those three rows and then work the bind off. Instead, I'm doing my own thing - a two-stitch I-cord bind off. 

I think I'm playing a little yarn chicken.

May the fourth be with you.

MK out.