Yesterday, The Kid and I drove around town shopping for flowers. I researched a few flowers on the Internet, but finally came to the conclusion that I was going to go look at some more flowers and figure out what I wanted to plant. I chose flowers by that age-old scientifically proven method of "what looks good." Since the scope has been narrowed...eh - it would all work out fine.
One thing of note, I am a visual learner, but there is probably an element of tactile/kinesthetic learning in my milieu...And don't forget the stubborn quotient. I am going to become a gardener the good, old-fashion way - I will do it the hard way.
I decided on a color theme - I like the look of red, dark pink and orange together. At the nursery, I looked at various flowers that liked sun in those colors. I picked orange marigolds, pink petunias and red begonias.
Since the beds were prepared last weekend, I got down to the business of planting. I have to say - it was way easier than the process of bed preparation...So, here we go - beds prepared:
Next, I set out the little pots in each area to see how they looked:
It took under an hour to plant all of them:
I see a bald spot:
I know I am new at this gardening thing and I've probably made mistakes already that you might be able to notice, but I'll figure it all out eventually...that's half the fun.
Tomorrow, I will plant some coleus that I purchased at a fundraiser yesterday. I think I will put a few boxwoods in this spot too.