Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day 2012

Happy Mother's Day out there!!!

Every year, I think back to my very first Mother's Day, 26 years ago today:

I was newly married to my family - The Husb (for those of you who might not know) was a widower with three kids - and they were all so excited to celebrate Mother's Day. The kids were 9, 10 and 11 at the time and had asked me all week what I wanted to do for my big day. They made me breakfast in bed and we watched a tape of The Wizard of Oz - one of my all-time favorite movies.  They were so adorable...

Then The Husb, so proud of himself, announced that we had tickets to the Texas Rangers double-header that day!!! We were going to see them play the Yankees!!! During the heat of the day!!!

(The exclamation points are meant to be read as my sarcastic excitement.)

So, we went.

It was hot.

The kids kept running to the restrooms and bringing back wet paper towels to put on the backs of our necks. We forgot the sunscreen. Everyone was getting sunburned and cranky and hot - except for The Husb, of course.

Finally - we left during the fourth inning of the second game.  I cannot believe we lasted that long...

Things have come a long way since then.  The past several years, Mother's Day usually found us celebrating with my mom, MIL and daughter with her family - usually at a restaurant or at the club.  Now, that I am the matriarch of this family, we are still finding our new way.  We went out for dinner with our daughter and her kids last night.  Today, The Kid is coming over to spend time with us.  We will be grilling steaks and hanging out.

Before he gets here though, I will be doing what I like best:



I am going to start The Lazy Girl Shawl with my beautiful new yarn that is so squishy to feel and pretty to view.

Hope y'all have a great day!!!

MK out.

2 comments: