Monday, January 31, 2011

Movie Monday - 1/31/2011

It was another week of fun at Chez Merry Karma that prevented me from going to the movies.  There are some good movies out right now that I really want to see, but pesky details like family and work can be so demanding.  I hate that.

The SAG Awards were presented last night.  The King's Speech won Outstanding Performance By a Cast in a Motion Picture...the equivalent of Best Picture.  Now, that's more like it.

I streamed some flicks on the iPad.  Smash His Camera is a documentary about Ron Galella - a paparazzo before the word paparazzi became famous.  He was the bane of Jackie O's existence, as he virtually stalked her to get a picture.  He did photograph many other famous people, but he had a special place in his heart for Jackie.  It was an interesting look at the right to privacy debate.

Lovely, Still is a really sweet movie with Ellen Burstyn and Martin Landau who play an older couple experiencing new love.  The movie is more than it seems, as it starts becoming apparent about half way through the film.  I really liked it.

Dogtooth is Greece's entry for consideration for an Academy Award.  It was actually nominated for Best Foreign Language Film.  I don't know how many movies Greece has ever entered for awards, but for as far as I can remember, it hasn't received any Oscar nominations.  I did notice that it was playing at the Texas Theater in Dallas in an exclusive presentation.  I've never been to that theater.  Anyway, I was able to stream it on my iPad.  First, let me say, this movie is not for everyone.  I don't really think it was for me.  It is about a couple who are trying to homeschool and shelter their three rather old teenaged kids from the outside world.  Only the father ever leaves the house to go to work.  The kids have been told that there are ferocious cats outside the fence around their property that kill humans.  They are told the wrong definitions for words.  The film is rather perverse.  The only redeeming value for me in watching this film was that the actors spoke Greek, and since I understand Greek, I didn't need the subtitles. Yuck otherwise.

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment