Monday, February 10, 2014

Movie Monday - 2/10/2014

I only saw one movie in the last week, and I have to say that it was not a favorite.

The Wolf of Wall Street, starring Leonardo diCaprio, Jonah Hill, Matthew McConaughey, Margot Robbie, Joanna Lumley and Rob Reiner (to name a few), is based on the memoir by Jordan Belfort.  The film is set in the 1990s and tells the story of a stockbroker who engages in stock fraud and corruption.  Martin Scorsese directed the movie and I really don't understand what Marty is trying to accomplish.  It is being billed as a black comedy.  I would call it a Greek tragedy. Is it a cautionary tale?  The characters are hardly people who deserve any kind of admiration.  They are, in fact, pretty sad.  There's drugs, sex, profanity (over 500 F-bombs were dropped) - and I don't think of myself as a prude - but I really didn't think any of it was enhancing the entertainment. I felt the narrative could have been more efficient, as the movie is about an hour and a half too long.  The film has garnered Academy Award nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor and Best Adapted Screenplay.  I suppose the acting is pretty good, despite the material, as none of the characters are likable.

Maybe I missed the point, but yuck...just yuck.

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment