Monday, June 10, 2013

Movie Monday - 6/10/2013

I actually went to the movie theatre recently. I'm so excited because I've been feeling a little like a hermit lately...

I don't remember reading The Great Gatsby in high school but I did watch the Robert Redford, Mia Farrow version many years ago and I knew the gist of the story. Nick Carraway (Tobey McGuire) lives next door to the rich and popular Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio). Gatsby enlists his help in reuniting with his true love Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan), who happens to be Nick's cousin. There's romance, there's intrigue, there's tragedy...It's a great story and the movie was well acted. I did not watch the 3-D version and I still thought the cinematography was a bit over the top. All in all, I liked it.

And then, I watched two very different movies from my Netflix queue:

Janet Evanovich has written several novels. One For The Money is based the first book in the Plum series, in which we first meet the heroine Stephanie Plum. Stephanie, played by Katherine Hiegl, is divorced and recently without a job. She coerces her bail bondsman cousin into letting her try working for him as an apprehensions agent. It was pretty cute. I thought Heigl was a little too dainty to play a New Jersey tough broad, but she did alright. Jason O'Mara, Sherri Shepherd and Debbie Reynolds were also in the movie. I liked it.

I can sum up The Paperboy in one word - sleazy. The characters and their actions are sleazy and the story is sleazy. There are many good actors in it - John Cusack, Nicole Kidman, Macy Gray, Zach Efron and Matthew McCaughnahay - and they all played their characters well, but ick! The movie is about a guy (Cusack) who is in jail having been accused of murdering the town sheriff. His prison pen pal (Kidman) contacts a newspaper man (McCaughnahay) to write about the fact that he was wrongly accused and he deserves to be set free. I was so skeeved out that I felt I needed a shower after watching the movie...Ick!

That's all folks.

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment