Sunday, February 27, 2011

Let's Get This Party Started!

The munchies are ready and my spot on the couch is saved.  It's time to divulge my Oscar picks:

There were very good performances this year in the Best Supporting Actor category.  I think Christian Bale will win for The Fighter, because it was a stand out role.  It's interesting that the crazy characters garner more nominations, and Bale's portrayal of Dicky Eklund was so entertaining to watch.  Geoffrey Rush is my close second in The King's Speech.   

In the Best Supporting Actress category, my pick is Melissa Leo in The Fighter.  Hailee Steinfeld was awesome in True Grit, but again, that crazy character that Leo played was a standout performance.  Amy Adams, also nominated in The Fighter as Micky Ward's girlfriend was very good, too.

In the Best Actor category, I really liked Colin Firth in The King's Speech.  Javier Bardem was also good in Biutiful.  Jeff Bridges was good, but his performance was similar to his role in Crazy Hearts, for which he won Best Actor last year.

All the ladies nominated for Best Actress did great jobs in their roles, but I have to pick Natalie Portman in Black Swan with Nicole Kidman coming in second for Rabbit Hole.  Again, it's that crazy character factor.  What is it?  Are those roles just really fun to play and actors just take them and run with them?  I don't know.

Finally, I think The King's Speech will probably win for Best Picture, and while it is a very good film and I enjoyed it immensely, I was more entertained by The Fighter (with True Grit coming very closely behind).

Y'all enjoy the show!

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment