Saturday, January 5, 2008

A Smattering of Subjects

First, let's talk about the Dallas STARS. They've lost their last four games. The last two home games (New Year's Eve and today) were shut-outs. I'm so sad. My boys are in a slump.

Next up, I've seen a few movies...big surprise. I really should change careers, but then, I don't think I would enjoy watching movies as much if I had to do it.

Charlie Wilson’s War is a movie based on fact. It is set during the 1980’s when Russia was going over to Afghanistan and committing all manner of crimes, for no good reason. Charlie Wilson is a former US Congressman from Texas, who at the time commandeered appropriations to help the Afghans obtain weapons to fight back and eventually drive the Russians back home. Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Amy Adams, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Emily Blunt star in this funny little movie.Enchanted was enchanting. That Amy Adams is such a good actress. I first discovered her in Junebug, in which she played the pregnant sister-in-law to the main characters. She was so bubbly and cute and always positive. This role is similar, but I don’t think that she is just a one-dimensional actress. She was in Charlie Wilson’s War and did a mighty fine job, even though her role wasn’t that big. She plays the princess-hopeful in this movie that starts out as a cartoon. The Prince’s evil stepmother wants her out of the picture in order to keep her crown, for once the Prince marries, the new wife becomes the belle of the kingdom. Giselle (Adams) is tricked out of the kingdom and ends up in New York City. She is quite out of place….what, with her princess gown and all. A divorced dad and his daughter take her in until her Prince comes to rescue her. Patrick Dempsey, (who is a good actor, but mostly just looks good), Susan Sarandon, James Marsden and Timothy Spall also star. It was cute, cute, cute.

I really enjoyed The Savages, with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney. They play siblings who must place their father somewhere after he suddenly becomes without a place to live. It was a good story that was well acted.

What is Nicole Kidman thinking these days? Except for Golden Compass, which was pretty good, she has been in some real stinkers lately. Margot at the Wedding almost falls into the latter category. It has its amusing moments, but on the whole, it was not the movie I thought it was. Nicole’s character is a real bitch. She says some awful things to people – even to her own kid. Jennifer Jason Leigh (Pauline) plays her sister, who is about to marry Jack Black, a man whom Margot feels is beneath Pauline. I suppose, it one takes into account that Margot played an unlikable character well enough not to like, then she did a great acting job. The trailers have you believing that this movie is a clever little comedy about family relationships. Um...no....there's definitely darker subject matter.

What can I say about Sweeney Todd? I thought the story was good, it was well-acted – with Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman and Timothy Spall – and there was singing. Johnny Depp can sing…Who knew? The sets were great and the costuming was charming. (The knitted fingerless mitts are being discussed on many knitting blogs.) It really was entertaining, but it was really gory. I mean, come on – Do we have to see throat slitting and arterial blood spurting with each heartbeat over and over again? Seriously? Eww.

Finally, there's knitting! I have a couple of FOs:



I made these fingerless mitts for a friend for Christmas. I finished them after Christmas. Oops! I hope she will understand.






The recipe: I lost the ballband, but I think the yarn is Regia sock yarn. I caked it up into two balls that started at about the same place in the color sequence. Cast on 50 stitches. Set up a K2,P2 rib and knit for about 6 1/2 inches. I sewed up 1 1/2 inches from the top and 2 1/2 inches from the bottom, leaving a 2 1/2 inch opening for the thumb.







I finally finished this cap and bootie set for a firend's new baby.




The booties are
Saartje's Bootees. I used sz 2 needles for the booties and sz 4 for the cap.

Cap recipe: I used a pattern adapted from Rowan Babies named Lola pictured on page 17, instructions on page 69. CO 72 stitches with CC. Join in the round. Do 12 rows of garter (K 1 rnd, P 1 rnd). Change to MC and K every rnd until 5 inches from CO edge. Shape as follows: Rnd 1: K 10, K2tog across rnd. Rnd 2: K 9, K2tog across rnd. Rnd 3: K 8, K2tog across rnd. Rnd 4: K 7, K2tog across rnd. Rnd 5: K 6, K2tog across rnd. Rnd 6: K 5, K2tog across rnd. Rnd 7: K 4, K2tog across rnd. Rnd 8: K 3, K2tog across rnd. Rnd 9: K 2, K2tog across rnd. Rnd 10: K 1, K2tog across rnd. Rnd 11: K2tog across rnd. Cut off about an 8 inch tail and draw it through the remaining stitches. Weave in ends. I made the flower as written in the pattern on sz 5 needles.





The little carseat quilt that will accompany this gift is finished too. See?









I'm in the Stash Knit Down 2008 group on Ravelry. We started a challenge today - Knit a Mile in January. I started a sweater for the kid.





That's all folks!

Merry Karma out.



No comments:

Post a Comment