Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Pass the JuJu Bees

After a brief hiatus due to a vacation and getting home and trying to get back into a routine, (blah, blah, blah) I'm back into watching movies. I am a big renter, because it seems to fit into my schedule better, but about this time of the year, the good movies start coming out. You know...the ones that have a serious chance of being nominated for an Oscar.

For the last several years, I've tried to see the movies that have been nominated for the top five awards - or, at least the awards that are important to me: Best Picture, Best Actor/Actress and Best Supporting Actor/Actress. I love to watch the Oscars, and if I've seen these movies at the very least, the show is more meaningful to me.

I really liked when the awards were at the end of March, and not the end of February, because I had plenty of time to see all the films that I wanted to see.

I have wanted to throw a big Oscar party for my friends for forever, but since the husb is not a big movie watcher, it has never happened. I think it would be fun to dress up (another black mark in the husb's eyes), have a red carpet coming up the front walk for everyone to make a grand entrance, serve cocktails and munchies, and then sit around and watch the show. The Angelika Theaters throw Oscar watching parties; so, I might make it to one of those someday soon.

A.n.y.w.a.y...

I went to see Stardust the other day. This fanciful little film is really good. So, it's a bit of a fantasy, but the acting is very good, and I found it highly entertaining. Claire Daines plays a fallen star who is being pursued by a young man (Charlie Cox) to give to his true love (Sienna Miller), by a Prince (Mark Strong) and his brothers to get back a family heirloom and by a witch (Michelle Pfeiffer) who wants to cut out her heart and attain eternal youth and beauty. Add Robert DeNiro and Rupert Everett, and you've got yourself two hours of good time. I don't know if there will be any Oscar nominations forthcoming, but I liked it very much.

I watched Disturbia on DVD recently.
Shia LaBeouf plays a high school senior who is stuck at home on house arrest. Since there's not much else to do, he watches the neighborhood and learns the patterns of behavior of the people who live nearby. He notices some really suspicious behavior and the fun begins. It's a real thriller. I can safely say that this movie is not Oscar-worthy, but I liked it.

So, in the interest of tackling the endless list of movies on my Blockbuster queue, I think I'll go watch a DVD.

Merry Karma out.

No comments:

Post a Comment