Saturday, September 1, 2007

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year....

And I'm not talking about Christmas.

I'm talking about back to school!!! You could hear the collective sigh of relief from all the mothers in the area on Tuesday. Actually, while I like the structure to our lives that the school year provides, that structure gets to be stifling after a while.

I like back to school because it heralds the fall season. Fall is my favorite time of the year. The temperatures get cooler - although, around here, it's usually in late fall. I celebrate my birthday, anniversary and birth of my child. I love Halloween. I also love Thanksgiving. Fall is the prelude to the Christmas season - another favorite of mine. See, I cannot say anything negative about fall.

I also like that back to school shopping phenomenon. I love shopping for school supplies and for clothes - even if it's not for me. Luckily, I've had someone to take BTS shopping for the last many years, but I can see those days coming to an end.

New school supplies are my favorite! The smell of crayons, the way they look in the box - standing up straight, side-by-side, with those pointy heads - it makes me giddy! Unfortunately, crayons were not on Kenny's supply list yet again, this year. All I was able to buy for him were some pens, paper, map pencils and a couple of folders. I did manage to score legal pads and gel pens for myself. Squeee!

Last weekend, Kenny and I decided it was time to get a couple of things. He hasn't outgrown things so much, as he's worn some things to threads. I figured we'd run down to the mall and see what Dillard's and Macy's had to offer. I figured wrong, apparently. Kenny lead me to Hot Topics, Pac Sun and Hollister's. He found a few things and we were good to go. We still have to find some new tennies, but here's the sum total of the BTS shopping:


Some stylish tee shirts.













Three new shorts. We see one we like, we buy one in every color.









Ya know, I am a big proponent of wearing uniforms to school. It really cuts out a lot of the dress code issues that take up a lot of the teaching time. Anyway, Kenny went to private school from K through 4th grade. He wore a uniform. It was great. The choices were navy or khaki pants - long pants when cool and shorts when it was warm. For the top, he chose from navy, white, navy/white striped, or light blue cotton chambray - and the sleeve length depended on the temperature. Simple.

He started going to public school in 5th grade, and he was happy to leave the uniform wearing behind. He told me he preferred wearing whatever he wanted to school. In 6th grade, the principal tried to pass a uniform dress code for the school. There were many students bussed into the school from some disadvantaged areas of the city, and she wanted to even the playing field a little. The idea was voted down by my "well-educated" neighbors, who probably need a little education in sensitivity. Plus, my argument was that the teachers needed to use their time to teach, not reprimanding dress code violations. Still, the proposal was voted down, and Kenny was thrilled!

So, fast forward to today... I don't know about you, but the outfits that Kenny picked out sort of remind me of a uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment