Monday, January 27, 2020

Movie Monday 1/27/2020

I only watched one movie nominated for one or more of (what I consider) the major awards in the past week. I also have a couple of others to mention.

Little Women, screenplay and direction by Greta Gerwig, is a beautiful adaptation of the novel by the same name. I think it definitely deserved its Best Picture Oscar nod, and I am sorely miffed that Greta Gerwig did not get nominated for Best Director. At least she got nominated for her screenplay. Of course, I haven't seen all of the movies yet, but I'm fairly confident I'll be able to stand by my thoughts when I do. The film is the story of the four Marsh sisters, each different in their personalities and abilities, but able to sustain a strong bond while waiting for their father to come back from the war. It was very good.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, is the final episode of the nine-part Skywalker Saga. The film brought back the beloved characters (even Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia by the use of repurposed, unreleased footage from The Force Awakens) and wrapped up the story in a satisfying manner. I really liked it. 

In Late Night, Emma Thompson plays Katherine Newbury, an acclaimed talk show host with falling ratings. She hires inexperienced Molly Patel (Mindy Kaling) to help freshen up her comedy and diversify her all while, male writing staff. It was pretty good.

Michelle Williams, Juliette Moore, Billy Crudup and Abby Quinn star in After the Wedding. The co-founder of an orphanage in India travels to New York at the behest of a potential benefactor. When she gets there, she meets the wealthy woman's husband, who just happens to be a former lover. Long buried secrets have a way of coming out, and that is true in this film. It was good.

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment