Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy New Year!

Another new year! Another bright and shiny clean page in the book of life!

I don't know about you, but I can't start my year without reflecting on the past year. On the whole, it was a good year for the Merry Karma. I celebrated a milestone birthday in October and there were many other blessings bestowed throughout the 365 days.  

One of the past year's blessings is that The Kid graduated from college. It has been a long time coming, but we are beyond thrilled and proud of him. Another blessing is our grandson's graduation from high school. And still another, I became a great grandmother. Of course, I also count my health, my family and friends, the roof over my head, the clothes on my back, the food in my stomach, and all kinds of things as incredible blessings for which I am humbled and grateful.

However, and I know y'all knew there had to be a "however," it had some bumps. I suppose the overriding, or under riding, theme of the past year was and still is to some extent, I've lost my place. I'm not really sure what I want to be or who I am right now. Having that milestone birthday made me reflect on the whole of my life thus far, and while I have more blessings than I can count and a heart full of gratitude, there is a feeling of time slipping by and so much left I'd like to do.

I suppose I am now a woman of a certain age (WOACA), but what does that mean? On the inside, I feel 27 on my best days and not all that much older on my worst. On the outside, well, I certainly don't look as young as I feel, but I can deal with that.

Since moving to Fort Worth, I've tried to make new friends, join new clubs and really engage with my new town. I've been successful at some things, and not so successful at others. I follow some precious young women on Instagram who have kept me abreast of all my new town has to offer. I've met some in real life, and they are fun and precious, but I had a startling realization recently, which added to my cloud. I don't really fit in. There are a plethora of women-empowering platforms in this city, but when I look around, they comprise groups of younger women. I feel as if they are thinking, "What's this old lady doing here?" 

Don't get too sad for the Merry Karma though. In the last several weeks, I've been feeling the sunlight. I've been trying to figure out what I don't like and how to change it, as well as what I want and how to attain it. 

I hope to share the journey with y'all from time to time. It helps keep me accountable. 

Now, I will get back to my regularly scheduled New Years Day activities and let you get back to yours.

MK out.

1 comment:

  1. Another WOACA here. I realized at some point in the past year that I am the oldest person in my largish primary care/internal medicine clinic. I’ve adopted it as a license to be a curmudgeon if I want to.

    ReplyDelete