Monday, March 17, 2014

Movie Monday - 3/17/2014

Since the Oscars frenzy has ended, I have other priorities besides movie watching.  Speaking of the Oscars, the voting members sure didn't agree with who all I thought deserved an award...but I have my own theories about that.  I will keep them to myself...

I have watched a few flicks though, because...well...that's what I do.


The Sapphires is based on a true story about four Aboriginal girls, sisters and cousins, who go to Viet Nam in the 60's to sing to the troops.  Chris O'Dowd (I just love him), Deborah Mailman, Jessica Mauboy, Shari Sebbens and Miranda Tapsell starred in the movie. It was very good.

I watched Ain't Them Bodies Saints several weeks ago and I forgot to write about it.  (Oops!)  Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara star as a star-crossed couple on the run from the law.  Bob (Affleck) ends up in jail, leaving a pregnant Ruth to fend for herself. Bob finally decides he's had enough of incarceration and he breaks out to reunite with Ruth and the daughter he has never met.  I really liked it.

The Kid and I had intended to watch The Hunger Games: Catching Fire while he was home for winter break.  We didn't have the chance...until last night...now that he is on spring break.  It is the second film based on the trilogy by Suzanne Collins.  After Katniss and Peeta's victory, the powers that be were not very happy, as their actions inspired hope in the hearts of Panem's poor.  President Snow, the nation's leader, devised another interim hunger games whose tributes are chosen from past winners.  Katniss and Peeta must once again fight to the death. Many of the actors from the first film reprise their roles in this one: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Stanley Tucci, Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson, Lenny Kravitz and Donald Sutherland  - just to name a few.  It was kind of sad to watch one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's last performances, but the movie was very good. 

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment