Monday, March 19, 2012

Movie Monday - 3/19/2012

Today's weather has been interesting.  A line of thunderstorms was west of the metroplex early this morning and heading this way. It was cloudy and a little windy, and definitely threatening rain, but nothing was happening.  By 1000, the sun came out and the weather people were talking about possible tornadoes associated with this storm.  It was predicted to reach us in the early afternoon.  I uncharacteristically made out my shopping list and headed out the door hoping to get back home before the storms started.  Well, aside from the wind picking up considerably, the sun shined my whole way home and most of the afternoon.

It is now almost supper time, and the clouds have gathered...I felt a few drops of rain when I walked to the mailbox...

So, it has been a good day to do inside things.  I have been doing a little cooking, washing and general picking up.  I also watched a movie I taped the other day - I've always wanted to see Elmer Gantry and finally got my chance.  The movie apparently was adapted from a book, but only covers part of the story.  It is about a drunken salesman, street preacher, drifter who joins forces with a revival ministry.  Burt Lancaster, Jean Simmons and Shirley Jones starred in this well acted and entertaining look at politics and religion.  I liked it.

I watched another old movie yesterday.  High Society is the 1956 musical remake of The  Philadelphia Story.  I loved Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart in the 1940s version; so, I thought I'd watch this one.  Grace Kelly, Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra starred in the "newer" version...It is set in Newport, RI - where Tracy Lord is about to get remarried, but not if her ex-husband has anything to do with it.  It was really good.

I did watch one video in the last week.  Clive Owen stars in The Boys Are Back, which is based on a true story.  A sports writer loses his wife and is suddenly trying to work and raise his very confused and bereaved six-year-old son.  When his teenaged son from a previous marriage comes to live with them, the situation becomes more difficult.  It was a good warm and fuzzy story, but overall, it was just alright.

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment