Wednesday, February 22, 2012

WIP Wednesday - 2/22/2012

Today's WIP Wednesday is of a different sort....It's about movies.  I still have to see two before Sunday...and they are Albert Nobbs and Warrior.

That implies that I've seen all the others that I wanted to see before the Oscars.  I haven't commented on two of them, so here they are:

Hugo is a fanciful little film about a boy who tries to fulfill his late father's dream of completing an automaton (automated man).  I did not see the 3-D version, but I thought the CGI was good in 2-D. Ben Kingsley, Jude Law, Sacha Baron Cohen, Christopher Lee, Emily Mortimer, Asa Butterfield and Chloe Grace Moretz star in this family film. It was very good.

In A Better Life, an undocumented Mexican (Carlos) who works as a gardener is trying to raise his son (Luis) in the gang-infested parts of LA.  When his boss decides to sell his trucks and tools to Carlos, he sees it as his chance to better his life, despite knowing that his lack of a driver's license would mean sure deportation if he got stopped for any reason.  When the truck gets stolen, the action heats up.  It was a very good story and well acted film. Demian Bechir, who plays Carlos, has been nominated for Best Actor. This category is tougher for me to pick a favorite.  After I see Warrior, I may have a better handle on it.  Anyway, I liked it.

I also saw non-Oscar contender Big Miracle last weekend.  Drew Barrymore, John Krasinski, Ted Danson and more star in this film based on the true story about a family of grey whales who got caught in an ice cell in the Arctic Circle. Greenpeace, the US government, the Russians...they all get involved to try and get these whales out to the open ocean.    It's a cute, little, predictable family movie. 

As far as knitting goes...I am almost finished with the gusset decreases on my February socks.  Nothing else new to report...

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment