Monday, February 28, 2022

Movie Monday - 2/28/2022

It’s been a busy dash. I did, however, watch a couple of the movies nominated for Oscars. I have five left to see.


I have never read any of the books, and I understand there are several but when I started watching Dune (starring Timothée Chalamet), I figured I’d be fine. I was wrong. First, the sound quality wasn’t good, because when they were speaking low (on purpose) and saying things pertinent to the plot, they were near impossible to hear. Where was the sound engineer? Secondly, I spent a good part of the film confused. Finally, I had a hard time finding any of the characters endearing. I know I’m probably not the target audience, but a Best Picture nomination???

The Tinder Swindler is a documentary about a guy who has defrauded women all over the world and how three of the ladies got him back. It was good, but one thing could have made it better. I’ll let you watch and then come back and tell me what you think that is.

Bradley Cooper, Rooney Mara, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Willem Dafoe, Mary Steenburgen and many others starring Nightmare Alley made it a great ride. The film opens ominously, watching Stan Carlisle (Cooper) dumping a heavy, longish bag into the floorboards of a dilapidated house and then setting it all on fire. From there, we watch him take steps that, to him, seem like they are leading him to success but they are really leading to his descent. It was good.

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment