Monday, August 16, 2021

Movie Monday - 8/16/2021

I have so many movies I want to watch. I wonder what would happen if I set a goal to watch one movie a day. I realize that I may sometimes be too busy, or be on vacation, but I think it’s a worthy goal. 


Bill Nighy stars in Sometimes Always Never about a family estranged over a game of Scrabble. It was cute.

The documentary That Summer is about my favorite mother-daughter duo, Big and Little Edie Beale. It seems that a couple of years before the documentary film, Grey Gardens by Albert and David Mayles, Lee Radziwill wanted to document her family history with the help of Peter Beard. Part of that involved interviewing the famous pair. Footage from her project became this documentary. Lee soon scrapped the endeavor, but the Mayles brothers were so charmed that they decided to take on the Beales all on their own. I too was charmed.

Some Kind of Heaven is a documentary about The Villages. It’s a ginormous retirement community located in Florida. Some people liken it to Disneyland, but for seniors. The film follows around a few of the residents whose lives aren’t as wonderful as the promotional material depicts. They are quirky! I enjoyed watching.

And in another film (though fictional) about retirement communities, Poms was hilarious! Diane Keaton plays a rather introverted woman who moves to a senior community. She isn’t comfortable joining in any of the clubs or activities, until her neighbor convinces her that they should start a cheerleading squad. Jacki Weaver, Rhea Perlman, Pam Grier and Celia Westin also star. I loved it.


Binge worthy:
My Unorthodox Life (HBOMax)
Back to Life (Hulu)

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment