Wednesday, January 4, 2012

WIP Wednesday - 1/4/2012

Currently, I have only two projects OTN.  I sort of have a plan for the next couple of months...lots of babies being born and other motivations...

I am a member of the Sock Knitters Anonymous group on Ravelry.  Every month, they hold a challenge where you can knit a sock by the featured designer, or knit a pattern that incorporates the featured technique or you can join in the Mystery Sock (MOCK) KAL (knit-a-long) every other month.  I've mostly lurked until last Spring when I joined one of the challenges.  I tried to join another one or two, but things came up and I didn't really participate in that way.  This month, I thought I would do the MOCK.  The first clue was released, and so far, I really like the pattern.

I dug up my American Red Cross knit kit in the commemorative tin because I thought the green yarn would lend itself well to the Flora or Fauna theme of the month.



See, it is green - a kind of Army green, but also a deep-in-the-woods kind of green.



The MOCK is designed by Carrie Sullivan of irishgirlieknits.  It is called Blathnat, meaning "little flower" in Gaelic.  Pictured is the first sock.  I thought I'd do the first clue on each sock separately, and then join the two socks on two circs after that. 



I am also making a little blanky for a special person who will be born next month.  I had a ton of Caron Wintuk from years ago that I had bought for a different project that got derailed.  I am doing a basketweave pattern with a seed-stitch border.  I like it so far.  The yarn...not so much.  I have become quite the yarn snob.



I am continuing to Cold Sheep in 2012.  I was fairly successful in 2011.  I only made thoughtful purchases, and not that many...until I got myself into the Goth Socks Club.  It's only one skein of sock yarn per month, for as long as I stay in...Not sure how long that will be yet.  Anyway, I was perusing my stash pictures on Ravelry and I thought of projects to make and paired them with yarn and made a list. 

I have some cotton chenille yarn that has aged to perfection in the stash and needs to be used this year.  It's not Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille; it's some off brand that I had found years ago.  It doesn't feel like the Crystal Palace, but maybe that yarn snobbery in me is coming out...I don't know.



I had the biggest urge to make a washcloth yesterday; so, I grabbed one of the partially used balls and some needles.  I cast on and worked on it at the STARS game last night.  I finished it today.  (Y'all are seeing an FO and it is not FO Friday.  Shhh, don't tell.) Knitting with this yarn aggravates my bilateral Blackberry thumb issue to no end.  I was thinking about making one of these babies a week until I finished up the yarn, but I may have to rethink that plan...



I didn't make as many projects in 2011 as I have in previous years, but I didn't do too badly.  I made:
7 pair of socks



6 adult hats
2 baby hats
2 baby booties
3 shawlettes
2 adult sweaters
2 baby sweaters
1 felted tote bag
4 washcloths
1 baby afghan
1 toddler poncho
3 Christmas stockings

I am going to become stashless one of these days...I just know it!

MK out.

1 comment:

  1. That sock looks very interesting, I like! And...the 2011 accomplishment looks pretty darn good to me.

    ReplyDelete