This week, Carole asks us to tell our Ten Favorite Soups. It's a great day to eat soup around here today - gray, cold, wet...
I love soup. I love many different kinds, but here are ten that quickly come to mind:
1. Lentil soup - my mom's recipe...straight forward with lentils, onions, carrots, garlic, water and a little olive oil for sauteing. Yum!
2. Split pea soup...again, another Momma recipe and not too many ingredients, but so filling.
3. My momma also made a chickpea soup that I just love. She was great with minimal ingredients and big taste.
4. Avgolemono (Lemon Egg) Soup...Yep, it's another Momma specialty. This one is a little more involved, as we make our own chicken or turkey broth (after Thanksgiving or Christmas...it is a must to use that leftover carcass), but it is so worth it.
5. Momma's Beef Stew - all my kids love this one...even some of their friends.
6. Chicken Tortilla Soup, although I haven't had a good one since Tia's closed.
7. La Madelaine's Tomato Basil
8. Campbell's Cream of Tomato Soup - with grilled cheese sandwiches, please. My mom asked me to make this for supper sometimes, when the boys were gone and it was just the two of us...
9. Lobster Bisque - Truluck's makes a good one.
10. The borscht at Nikolai's Roof in Atlanta, Georgia...love it. Sadly, I haven't been to Atlanta in a while.
I am so thankful that I learned how to make the soups my momma made; so, I can make them anytime I am hungry for them. I guess I should learn how to make some of the others - except Cambell's can keep making the Cream of Tomato for me.
I think I may make soup for tonight's supper now...