Thursday, November 17, 2011

Shanghai Girls

I read this book in August.  One of my LYSs, The Woolie Ewe, has a book club.  Even though I haven't been able to make any of the get togethers, I still try to read and keep up.  The book was written by Lisa See and is set in China in the 1930s. Pearl and May are sisters who are living the high life courtesy of their father’s thriving business. Tragedy soon strikes.  The girls are sold as brides for the sons of a wealthy Chinese American businessman in exchange for his bailing out their father’s gambling debts. At first, the sisters do everything they can to avoid going to America to live the life that fate has dealt them, but soon, when the Japanese start bombing Shanghai and they must leave to save their lives, they end up going to America after all. There, they find that the life they were promised is altogether different from the life they find.  I enjoyed reading this book.

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment