Friday, January 23, 2009

And the Nominees Are...

Woo hoo! I'm so excited! The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the nominations for consideration yesterday!



First of all, I am thrilled that I've seen most of the movies nominated for the big five categories - picture, actor, actress, supporting actor and supporting actress. I have yet to watch Frozen River, The Wrestler and Revolutionary Road. Frozen River is no longer playing in this area; so, I don't know how I am going to pull that one off. I've seen one source that says it is coming out on DVD February 10; so, here's hoping.



Secondly, I am thrilled that Slumdog Millionaire was nominated for an Oscar. I know that it won the Golden Globe for Best Picture, but you never know with the Oscar. For the most part, I am happy with the movies that were nominated. I would have liked to see Josh Brolin nominated for Best Actor, because I thought he did a marvy job playing "W" in W. More on that later. I was a little miffed that Australia didn't get nominated for Best Picture, because I thought it was as good as Titanic was, but what do I know? I think Frost/Nixon and Milk are good movies, but I think because they are about real people, they got an automatic nomination. I personally feel that Slumdog is the best out of the field and Benjamin Button is a close second. I would put The Reader in the number three spot.



So, recently seen movies not nominated for a top five:

Happy-Go-Lucky is a cute movie with Sally Hawkins playing Poppy, a woman who always sees the bright side of everything. It was pretty humorous when she decided to learn how to drive and that her instructor turned out to be a real wet blanket. There were some funny scenes involving those two. Hawkins did a really good job playing Poppy, as does Eddie Marsan who plays the driving teacher. It is set in London, and it's a bit quirky; so, yay!



W., starring Josh Brolin as the Dub, Elizabeth Banks (Laura), James Cromwell (George, Sr.), Ellen Burstyn (Barbara) and Richard Dreyfuss (Cheney). It was a slanted rehash about how the Dub went from being an alcoholic playboy to the President of the United States of America, and it left me with many questions that weren't answered. The movie wasn't very good, overall, but Josh Brolin did a bang up job as George W. Bush. He has the mannerisms and the diction down!



Before I go, my one comment (Yay! A comment!) and several e-mails wanted more info about Jackson. He is our newest grandchild - Number Five! He arrived on January 19, weighing in at 7 pounds and 1 ounce, and stretching out 19 inches long. He is a good baby so far. I think I'll keep him.



MK out.


1 comment:

  1. First and foremost, Jackson is beautiful and I love that name!

    Second, it's so great how you keep up with all the movies and nominees every year. I was going to, but havne't had the chance yet to see but two or three.

    Third, you know I love that you loved Australia. I also thought it would have and should have been better received, and am so disappointed that it has been left out of the running.

    ReplyDelete