Sunday, March 12, 2023

The Oscars 2023

The Oscars show us already started and I am pretty ambivalent about the whole thing. I’m taping the show to start watching after I publish this post. I’m in a mood.


But first, movies…

Cate Blanchett stars in Tár, in which she plays a world renowned conductor who is preparing for a live recording of her conducting an important classical work. She’s a powerful woman who is used to getting her way and Blanchett played the role quite well. It was good.

Women Talking is adapted from a novel by the same name that is inspired by true events. Women in an isolated religious colony ere waking up and realizing they had been drugged and raped. These women could not read or write, but got together and talked out what they should do. It was one of the best movies I’ve seen in the field of Oscar nominations. I really liked it.

Andrea Riseborough stars in To Leslie, about a single mother who won the lottery in a small Texas town and proceeded to drink the proceeds away. Six years later, still struggling, she’s out of options. It was really, really good.

In Aftersun, a girl remembers the last vacation she and her father took when she was 11. She attempts to understand her father then, from the lens of the adult she is now. It was good.

I did not watch Avatar: The Way of Water or  Black Panther: Wakanda Forever because I ran out of time. Anyway, I seriously doubt they should have been nominated for Best Picture.

I have these thoughts:
Best Actress - Ana de Armas or Andrea Riseborough
Best Supporting Actress - Jamie Lee Curtis
Best Actor - Brendan Fraser or Colin Farrell
Best Supporting Actor - Brendan Gleason
Best Picture - Women Talking

Now, to dinner and the show.

MK out.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, didn’t really like Everything, Everywhere… either.

    ReplyDelete