Monday, November 5, 2018

Movie Monday - 11/5/2018

Movie watching season is upon us...fa la la la la, la la la la!

(And Countdown to Christmas has begun on the Hallmark Channel; so, I've been recording all the new ones to start watching after Thanksgiving.)

RBG is a documentary about Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I learned many things that I didn't know about her. I wasn't aware of her prior work with women's issues. I rather think that makes her even cooler in my book. I liked it.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a lovely little period piece based on the book by the same name. It's set in the Channel Islands after World War II. Lily James plays Juliet, a writer who becomes intrigued with the town of Geurnsey and its Nazi occupied past. A handsome farmer named Dawsey (Michiel Huisman) helps sweeten the pie, pun intended. It was sweet and I liked it.

Can You Ever Forgive Me? is based on the memoir by Lee Isreal of the same name. Melissa McCarthy stars as Isreal, who wrote several biographies about powerful women in her heyday. However, tastes changed but she didn't; so, she found herself needing a job. She turned to forging letters and documents from famous people and selling them to make ends meet. Her partner in crime is played by Richard E. Grant. It was good.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a bit of the story of Freddie Mercury and Queen. Rami Malek plays Mercury. The actors that play the other three band members look a lot like the real band members. There is already controversy about the way facts were presented in the film, but I'm good with the movie and the acting. I liked it.

A Star is Born, starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, is the third iteration of the story of rather famous boy meets talented girl. He encourages her talent until it starts to eclipse his. Drama ensues. I think I like this version the best. The acting was very good, the singing was phenomenal. Who knew that Bradley Cooper had musical talent? Wowsers! He was awesome! (Besides writing and performing some songs, he directed and produced the film. ...Wowsers!) Lady Gaga looked beautiful and her singing shined. I liked it.

There are more good movies coming out in the next few weeks, and I'll try to see as many as I can.

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment