Thursday, May 24, 2018

Book Chat - 5/24/2018

(Blinking and rubbing her eyes from the glare of the sun.)

I've read some good books lately and would like to tell you about them.

The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy is set in India, mostly around the turn of this century.  It is full of interesting characters, but it was a little hard for me to keep them straight sometimes. Overall, it was good and I enjoyed reading it.

Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal is full of Indian characters, but it's set in England. It's setting is more present day. A young woman answers an ad to teach creative writing in the heart of London's Punjabi community to a group of older women who think that they are enrolled in a literacy class. It was very good.

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng is a present day story set in Shaker Heights, Ohio, the author's home town. The lives of two families becomes intertwined when the children become acquainted. It was light, yet complex. I really enjoyed it. I hear this book is going to be made into a movie or mini-series. I am looking forward to it.

That's all for now.

MK out.




No comments:

Post a Comment