Remember the recent quilt and pillowcase I made for the Princess Niece, and how I made her Bitty Baby a coordinating quilt and pillow/pillowcase? Did you notice that the Princess Niece received a little outfit too?
I did, and I concluded that Bitty Baby needed a matching ensemble.
Why yes, yes I did.
It became quite the project though. I searched commercial patterns to find something that resembled the outfit I made for PN. I didn't find any.
I searched Pinterest for tutorials and I found one!
But after making the muslin, I determined that it wasn't made for Bitty Baby. It was a little tight.
A hundred years ago, I took fashion design courses where I learned how to make clothing by draping and flat pattern drafting. I decided to apply some of those lessons (and it's been a while; so, I'm sure I did so imperfectly) in an attempt to make a set of blocks which would allow me to draft all kinds of patterns for Bitty.
First, I draped some fabric on her.
Then, I checked the pieces on her and even had to eliminate a little gaping on the back armscye.
I took the corrected fabric patterns and transferred them to cardboard to make the blocks.
With the blocks, I drafted the sundress pattern.
I traced Bitty's panties to make a panty pattern.
I got busy sewing.
I made the outfit!