I am guessing that Carole thought of this week’s Ten on Tuesday topic thanks to Irene and the havoc she created on the east coast.
Here are Ten Ways to Prepare for a Big Storm:
1. Designate a contact person who lives somewhere far from the action that everyone can check in with in case families and friends get separated. Be sure and notify the person.
2. Secure the house. If a hurricane is on the way, board up the windows or close the storm shutters.
3. Secure the stuff in the lawn – bring it in or tie it down – You don’t want any missiles flying around out there.
4. Gather supplies – food, water, baby formula, diapers, pet food, cash, batteries, radios, flashlights, candles, firewood, matches…
5. Make sure the car is full of gas.
6. Pack a getaway bag in case you have to evacuate.
7. Gather important papers and phone numbers.
8. Gather medicines and prescriptions – don’t forget babies and pets.
9. Gather important pictures and albums.
10. Charge up the cellphones, iPads, etc. If the power goes out, they will work for a while.
Stay safe out there!