Thursday, August 20, 2026

Book Chat - 8/20/2026

Wowzers, People! I thought I was caught up with everybody on my book reading, and I have another LIST again. I read the following books in June and July.

Before I start, I have to give a shout out: Happy Birthday to Robert Plant!!! (Because he reads my blog, of course.)

None of This Is True by Lisa Jewell
This book keeps you guessing till the end. You have to keep reading just-one-more-page, because you want to know what is really happening. Two women come together in a seemingly benign way. As more of the story unfolds, it gets darker and more layered. It was good.

The Calamity Club by Kathryn Stockett
This author also wrote The Help - a great story with great characters. I have to say that this book is as good. Two sisters, with different economic circumstances, join forces with others (awesome characters all) to try to save two family homes, and a little girl who was left at an orphanage. Oh my! It’s the second five star book for me this year.

Atmosphere by Taylor Jenkins, Reid
The story is set in the late 70s, early 80s about women pioneers in the space program. I think TJR is a very good writer, and this book did not disappoint. It’s definitely a page turner, and it being set just up the road from my hometown made it more endearing to me. I loved it.

Kin by Tayari Jones
In this book, we watched two girls and their paths to adulthood after being left by their respective mothers. One goes on to be a people pleaser to the life she should. The other sets out to find her mother, no matter the cost. It was very good, although the story ended rather suddenly and subtly for my taste. 

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
A young girl suffers a trauma right before her freshman year in high school. We watch her heal as she navigates high school and all the indignities that come with it. It was good.

Wrecked by Catherine Newman
This book is the sequel to Sandwich. We pick up with Rocky and her family a few years down the road. They are still life-ing. It was good.

It’s already into August and I might have begun another list…


MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment