Thursday, February 2, 2023

Book and Movie Chat - 2/2/2023

am hitting two birds with one stone today. First up, I finished another book.


A Summer Affair by Elin Hilderbrand
I’m back to beach reads! In this one, married, mother of four, capable Claire agrees to co-chair the annual Nantucket Gala. The billionaire, executive director of the charity asked her himself. Soon, they are working together and sparks start flying. What will happen? Read the book to find out. It was good, but not one of her best. (Oh! Did I say that out loud?)

I’ve already checked out her next one; so, I’m sure all soon will be right in the world.

In other news, the Oscars nominations were announced last week and it caught me by surprise. I guess The Dash has been very distracting. I got busy though.

Brendan Fraser stars in The Whale and has been nominated for Best Actor. He plays a morbidly obese individual with a complicated past. He makes a living by teaching an online night school class. He doesn’t have many people in his life and he’s very ill. Just when he’s getting close to the end, along comes his estranged teenaged daughter. The acting is superb and the film was pretty good.

I had to watch All Quiet on the Western Front over two and a half days. It was so gruesome! I know it’s based on a book and it’s been adapted to film before. I’ve never read the book, nor seen the previous film efforts. This movie has been nominated for Best International Feature Film and for Best Picture. I don’t know why it was remade, yet again, except maybe to update the technical effects that make a movie look more realistic, but yuck! The acting is really good, but the story is a sad cautionary tale about the reality of war. I did not enjoy.

I thoroughly enjoyed Living. It’s a quiet little story about a bureaucratic government worker who is on in years. He receives some bad news and decided that he needs to break a little out of his comfort zone. Bill Nighy stars and has been nominated for Best Actor. I enjoy watching him act, and he did not disappoint. 

Written and directed by Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans is a semi autobiographical account of Spielberg’s early life. Michelle Williams was nominated for Best Actress for the role of the mother of the family. A young boy is gifted a movie camera and he starts filming things that are happening around him, with his mother’s encouragement. He soon graduates to writing and directing the short homemade movies he produces. Williams did a great job. It was a good movie.

Recent Binges:
Only Murders in the Building Season 1 - Hulu
Emily in Paris Season 3 - Netflix
The Last Movie Stars - HBOMax

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment