Monday, November 20, 2017

Movie Monday - 11/20/2017

Hello any of you who have not given up on my blog. I've had a busy dash lately. Although I've been watching movies, knitting and doing other stuff, I haven't really taken the time to reflect. This blog is a tiny exercise of my reflections and it has suffered.

So, movies. I've been seeing them. Here are the most recent. I have a short list of other movies about which I will be making comments in the weeks to come. Oh! And a friend of mine and I have formed a movie club. (Wanna join?) We want to make it a point to see one movie per week. Maybe, this action will keep me accountable.

I remember watching the actual match (from my crib, of course, as if that makes a big difference). In Battle of the Sexes, Emma Stone and Steve Carell recreate the principals in one of the most famous matches in tennis history. In 1973, Bobby Riggs, a self-proclaimed male chauvinist pig, challenged Billie Jean King to a match to prove that a woman could not beat a man in tennis. Even though I knew the ending, there were some tense moments, but I won't give it away. It was cute.

I can never get enough of Judy Dench. In Victoria and Abdul, she plays the monarch in her later years. In honor of her Golden Jubilee, an Indian clerk, played by Ali Fazal, is sent to England to present her with an official gift. The tongues start wagging when the two strike up a friendship. It's based on the true story. Who knew? It was very good.

When I sat down to watch Suburbicon, I didn't know too much about the movie. After seeing the coming attractions, my movie club partner and I thought it looked good; so, it was added to the list. To me, it had a certain Fargo-esque feel to it. Small wonder, it was written by the Coen Brothers (and George Clooney). Overall, the movie was entertaining, but it was rather disturbing. Matt Damon and Julianne Moore star as a couple living in a peaceful, planned, suburban community in 1959. Noah Jupe plays their son, quite well actually. There's racial injustice and murder and mystery. What more could one want? Apparently, the critics on Rotten Tomatoes weren't impressed.

That's it for now.

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment