Sunday, February 26, 2017

Movie Sunday - The Oscars Edition

The show is tonight. Forgive me for my lack of zeal this year. There's been too much on my mind and my plate. In the last twelve days, I've seen seven movies. There is one more I haven't seen (Elle), but it just opened and I didn't have a chance to go see it. I think I will be able to watch tonight's awards ceremony just fine.

Captain Fantastic - A guy who has been raising his kids in the wilderness starts to question if he has been doing the right thing. Viggo Mortensen plays the dad and he's been nominated for Best Actor. Frank Langella and Kathryn Hahn also star. It was good.

Loving - This film is about the true story of the 1967 Supreme Court decision that struck down the validity of laws prohibiting interracial marriage. Ruth Negga stars as Mildred Loving and has been nominated for Best Actress. Joel Edgarton and Michael Shannon also star. It was good.

Arrival - Amy Adams (I heart her!) stars as a linguistic professor hired to help communicate with the inhabitants of one of twelve spaceships that touched down on Earth. Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker also star. The film has been nominated for Best Picture. I really liked this movie. 

Moonlight - This follows the story of a boy who grows up in a dysfunctional home. Mahershala Ali (nominated for Best Supporting Actor), Naomie Harris (nominated for Best
Supporting Actress) and Janelle Monae star in this film. It was nominated for Best Picture. I really liked this movie.

Nocturnal Animals - Amy Adams (Yes, her again) plays an art gallery owner.  Her ex-husband sends her a manuscript to read and then to discuss at dinner when he comes into town. It's quite the novel.  There are lots of good actors in this one - Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Shannon (nominated for Best Supporting Actor), Isla Fisher, Armie Hammer, Laura Linney and Micheal Sheen. It was intense. 

Hacksaw Ridge - This film is based on the true story of  Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector, who served as a medic in WWII. In the Battle of Okinawa, he singlehandedly saved the lives of most of his regiment who had been left for dead when the company had to retreat. Andrew Garfield (nominated for Best Actor), Rachel Griffiths and Vince Vaughn star in this film. It is really graphic and serves to remind us all that war is bad. The film has been nominated for Best Picture.

Jackie - Natalie Portman has been nominated for Best Actress for her portrayal of Jackie Kennedy in the hours and days following the assassination of JFK. Peter Saarsgard, Greta Gerwig, Billy Crudup and John Hurt also star in this film. It was good.

My feeling is that Best Picture is between La La Land and Moonlight. I like Meryl Streep for Best  Actress. Casey Affleck is my pick for Best Actor. Viola Davis is my pick for Best Supporting Actress and I like Mahershala Ali for Best Supporting Actor.

MK out.

No comments:

Post a Comment