Monday, January 20, 2014

Movie Monday - 1/20/2014

It's now been four days since I figured out that I have 8 movies to watch before the Oscars, and I've only seen one.  I've been going like the Eveready bunny, and I don't feel like I have anything to show for it...

...except watching one movie.

12 Years a Slave is the adaptation of the memoir of Solomon Northup.  He was a free man who was kidnapped and sold into slavery.  I knew that the movie was graphic in its portrayal of the cruelty inflicted upon people during those times and parts of it were very hard to watch.  I won't get on my soapbox, but I will say that I disagree with whomever said that the cruelty needed to be shown graphically in this film to bring the point home.  I'm pretty tired of Hollywood (and many artists, in general) hiding behind the "it's an expression of art" excuse to give themselves license to be overly violent or profane, but that's just me...and I digress...

The acting in this movie is very, very good.  Chiwetel Ejiofor stars as Solomon.  Lupita Nyong'o plays Patsey, whose beauty is noticed by the cruel master of the plantation (played by Michael Fassbender).  Also starring are Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano, Paul Giamatti, Brad Pitt and Alfre Woodard - just to name a few.  The story is another example of the long history of man's inhumanity to man.  Will we ever learn?  It is a heartbreaking story based on fact, but it is a good movie and it deserves all the nominations it has gotten in this award season.  

In lighter news, I took this test and apparently, I should live in Portland, Oregan:  What city should you actually live in?

Oh k-a-a-a-y...

I've been to Portland three times in my whole life, and all have been since 2009.  I like the city.  I like the public transportation, the food (including the food trucks), the art and the quirkiness.  

Recently, I noticed that Portlandia was a suggestion in my Netflix queue. I didn't know anything about it before, but it's a tee vee show that celebrates the quirkiness of Portland. Last night, I watched the first episode.  It's hysterical!!! 


Am I the only person on this planet who had not heard of this show before just recently?


MK out.


No comments:

Post a Comment